Re: Etag-on-write, 4rd attempt (== IETF draft 03), was: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-03.txt

On Nov 6, 2006, at 20:18, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
>   CalDAV is a prime example of where weak ETags are appropriate.
> If the underlying data store isn't iCalendar, and the server needs
> to render iCalendar data every time a resource is requested, it's
> entirely possible that the iCalendar data is semantically but not
> binary equal every time.  Yes, you can make sure your iCalendar
> generation is deterministic, but if you change the software, you
> need to change the strong ETags for every resource on your server
> along with it.  That's inane.

Agreed.

However, if this is insane, don't we need to extend if-match to allow
for weak etags? That is, remove this sentence in rfc2616 14.24:
   A server MUST use the strong comparison function (see section 13.3.3)
   to compare the entity tags in If-Match.

Greets,
   Helge
--