RE: security requirements (was: Updating RFC 2617 (HTTP Digest) to use UTF-8)

From: Paul Leach <paulle@windows.microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:47:44 +0000
To: Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net>, Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Roy was right -- it's too late to make anything MTI in HTTP/1.1.

So, the question has to be whether it would make sense to make something
MTI in HTTP/1.2

Or, if we made a replacement for 2617, which offered several alternative
auth mechanisms, we could say that anyone who wanted to be compliant
with it had to implement one or more of said mechanisms.