Re: HTTP/1.1 pconns to 1.0 servers

From: Jeffrey Mogul <Jeff.Mogul@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:15:00 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

    What was the intent here? I can't imagine that it was the intent of
    the WG to require HTTP/1.1 clients to send Connection tokens in
    perpetuity for backwards compatibility.

Well, actually, yes.  Which is to say, from what I can recall after so
many years, the key point is that it is far more important for clients
to get the right answers than to have all connections persistent (and I
say this as one of the people who most forcefully pushed the idea of
persistent connections).  We also (probably correctly) assumed that
HTTP/1.0 implementations would never entirely disappear.

If you want to break compatibility with HTTP/1.0, it's time to switch
to HTTP/2.x.  (Please don't invite me to join the HTTP/2.0 working
group.)  Beyond that, it might be worth re-reading RFC2145 ("Use and
Interpretation of HTTP Version Numbers") rather than re-deriving the
arguments captured there.

-Jeff