Re: Etag-on-write, 2nd attempt (== IETF draft 01)

Joe Gregorio schrieb:
> Editorial nits:
>
> 1. " programmers asked servers to always return "ETag" headers upon
>   PUT, never ever to change t"
>
>   I can't follow that sentence. Sorry, no construtive suggestions on my
> part.

Any kind of feedback is useful :-) In this case, it's a typo, it's
supposed to say:

"...client programmers asked server programmers..."

> 2. Section 1.2
>
>    "reasons for HTTP's success, allowing to be used for a wide range of"
>
>     allowing IT to be

Yep.

> General:
>
> How is "Entity-Transform: identity" any different than returning
> a strong ETag as opposed to a weak ETag?
>
>   -joe

The issue is that without further information, a client can not assume
that upon PUT, the entity was stored octet-by-octet, thus it needs to
refetch the content if it needs that kind of equivalence. This may not
be obvious from RFC2616, but it is certainly the conclusion we arrived
at over here on the HTTP mailing list something like 10 months ago. Thus
the proposed clarifications in Section 3, and the "Entity-Transform"
extension header definition.

As this is the key point of the whole exercise, I would really
appreciate if you could re-read the draft with an eye on this, and let
me know whether you agree with the analysis of the problem in the first
place :-)

Thanks a lot,

Julian