Re: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-00.txt

Sylvain Hellegouarch schrieb:
> Both are fair points. I am still not convinced by the way Entity-Tranform
> is specified though. It seems over complicated. Why not defining the

Well, that's why I was submitting a draft -- feedback is needed. I
realize that Entity-Transform currently may violate the KISS principle,
maybe I should go back to it's minimal form of...:

Entity-Transform    = "Entity-Transform" ":" 1#transform-info
transform-info      = "identity" | "unspecified"

...and leave everything else to future specs.

> Entity-Transform header has follow:
>
> Entity-Transform = "Entity-Transform" ":" media-type
>
> Thus taking benefit from the existing IANA registration for what you call
> token in your proposal of the header. At least in that case the user-agent
> would know precisely how the server has transformed the request entity and
> the impact of that extension would be minimum.

Reusing media types sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how this
is going to work. Could you give examples for some of the use cases
mentioned in the document (XML Infoset preserved, HTML filtering, SVN
keyword substitution, AtomPub...)?

> If the header was not present in the response it would mean the server did
> not transform the entity.

We can't do that, because it's incompatible to RFC2616 (as reasoned in
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-00.html#rfc.section.1.3>
-- if people feel I got this one wrong by all means speak up :-))

Best regards, Julian