Re: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-00.txt

Sylvain Hellegouarch schrieb:
> I'm not sure the Entity-Transform header is needed since you might as
> well achieve the same result by using both the status code and the
> content type of the returned entity.
>
> Server does not modify the resource => Sends a 204 No Content
> Server does modify the resource => Sends a 200 and the newly created
> entity with its new media-type.
>
> That way the user agent knows if the resource has been modified and how.

Specifying that behavior would be incompatible with RFC2616, which
already allows a server to rewrite the content without returning it in
the response body.

And, as Cyrus pointed out, returning the new body is expensive, and most
of the times completely useless (which I tried to demonstrate in
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-00.html#simple.authoring>).
To optimize the case where the client indeed *wants* the new content, we
would need a new way to signal that, such as a new request header
(feedback appreciated).

Best regards, Julian