Re: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-00.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:32:20 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Hi,

we've been discussing the interpretation of ETags returned upon an HTTP
PUT request for some time now. Jim Whitehead started work on an Internet
Draft discussing this topic in February (see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-whitehead-http-etag-00.html>),
but unfortunately we didn't make any progress since.

Personally, I think that we really need a very minor clarification, plus
a simple new feature to help clients that want to avoid a re-fetch after
sending the content. I therefore decided to write up my own draft. It
summarizes the situation (as RFC2616 is concerned), proposes one
clarification to RFC2616 (as mentioned in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2006JanMar/0003.html>),
and also proposes that minor new feature (a new response header).

Feedback appreciated. I mean it. We really should resolve this, as two
drafts in front of the IESG already make contradicting requirements.

HTML at
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-00.html>.

Best regards, Julian