Invalidation after updates or deletions

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:36:42 -0700
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

RFC2616 says that POST, PUT, DELETE and unrecognised request methods
passing through a cache MUST invalidate one or more cache entries
(depending on the values of the Location and Content-Location headers).

In my informal (and not yet complete) testing, I've only found one
cache implementation -- client or intermediary -- that actually does
this. I've tried to engage various vendors, etc. to fix it, but
haven't seen much interest.

Why is that? Is there some non-obvious impediment to implementation?
Lazy developers?

If it doesn't see any take-up, perhaps it should be deprecated, or
relegated to a cache extension; e.g.,

Cache-Control: no-cache, max-age-if-you-actually-invalidate=300