RFC2616 revision, was: I-D ACTION:draft-whitehead-http-etag-00.txt

Jim Gettys wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 16:08 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> Jim Gettys wrote:
>>>  > ...
>>> An example version of RFC2616 has been available for several years now
>> s/example/XML/
>>
>>> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/#rfc2616>), and I would think that
>>> probably would be a good starting point if the modest goal is to apply
>>> the collected errata, and to update references.
>
> Said XML crashes Firefox 1.0.7.  Not a good sign.

If it crashes, submit a bug report. If it just produces warning messages
regarding missing XSLT extensions, that's a known shortcoming of Firefox
(see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#rfc.section.5.2>).

>>> If what's needed here is mainly a document *editor*, and there is indeed
>>>  consensus over here that we want that revision, then consider me a
>>> volunteer.
>>>

> I think much harder to get commitment that people will actually read and
> verify a draft.  *THAT* is what failed last time, and the number of
> errata since 2616 were enough that you can't trust one person to get it
> right.

I would suspect that people would prefer just to review the changes
instead of re-reading everything, but that works best if changes are
kept to a minimum.

To add something constructive to the discussion, I just put the draft in
question to our site
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav//draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00.txt>),
and produced drafts relative to RFC2616
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00-from-rfc2616.diff.html>).

> The RFC editor also deals with edits for references to other documents
> in the usual case, so if changes since that draft are mostly in the
> references, they can be done by the RFC editor.

That may be true for some changes, but certainly not for all. For
instance, the revision of RFC2396 changes both grammar productions and
terminology, so I wouldn't expect that just replacing the reference
would be good enough.

Best regards, Julian