Re: FYI: draft-nottingham-http-link-header-00

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:37:02 +0200, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>> Any chance you include Default-Style as well http://www.w3.org/TR/
>> 1999/REC-html401-19991224/present/styles.html#h-14.3.2 in some future
>> version?
>
> Default-Style is already in the Message Header registry:
>   http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/perm-headers.html
>
> Are you saying that its status is ambiguous, or that it's not well-
> defined?

I actually didn't know it was in there. :-o It points back to HTML4 though
which doesn't really give a solid definition. It's more an example of
usage.

>> Regarding the draft, it's important that the draft says that any Link
>> headers should be added before <link> relations included in the
>> document so that CSS cascade and such works out ok.
>
> Could you expand upon that? I'm not sure I'm following you.

Say the document has the following snippet:

  <head>
    p { background:lime }
  </head>

... it should be clear that Link enters the (CSS) cascade before that. So
that if you attach a style sheet using Link containg `p { background:red
}`, <p> elements will have a green background.

See also the last paragraph of
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/present/styles.html#h-14.6
for another way of saying it. I think this should be in the specification
that defines Link rather than in every specification that defines a way to
attach style sheets in documents like <svg:style>, <html:style>,

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>