Re: Extension methods & XMLHttpRequest

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:47:58 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> A key press *is* a user interaction, so sending a POST upon pressing a
> key doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

Ok, so are you saying that from a technical point of view, a typical
browser will simply allow scripts to perform POST requests?

Because it's hard to see how anything but the script can determine
what counts as a user interaction for a specification application.
Mouse gestures, keys, resizing the window, are all examples.

> What I'm concerned with is people following a link, opening a web page,
> and a script doing a POST without *any* further user interaction.

Perhaps.  It seems analogous to popup windows: popups in response to
clicking something are ok.  Popups when you visit a page, leave a
page, or from a timer, are annoying and good browsers block them.

How do we draw a useful line between what counts as a user
interaction, and allowing "web applications" a rich set of interaction
methods which do count as user interactions for this purpose?

If it's to be specified, be careful, as the Firefox folks had a few
learning iterations before they got it about right for popups.

-- Jamie