Re: draft-whitehead-http-etag, Content-Location and 200 OK

On 2006/04/04, at 11:47 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> That would be correct, but "ETag" isn't an entity-header (<http://
> greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.7.1>) but a
> Response Header (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/
> rfc2616.html#rfc.section.6.2>).

Ah, my bad. Thought I'd checked that.

> Which of course leads to the question: what's the difference???
> Looking at 6.2...:
>
> "The response-header fields allow the server to pass additional
> information about the response which cannot be placed in the Status-
> Line. These header fields give information about the server and
> about further access to the resource identified by the Request-URI."
>
> ...seems to be relevant here as it really seems to support the "the-
> etag-is-for-the-entity-you'd-get-on-a-subsequent-GET" world view.

OK. If we were *really* picking apart 2616, I'd think a re-org of the
header classifications would be in order; Jeff M took a stab at this
in "Clarifications of the Fundamentals of HTTP."

> I'm with you that there seems to be a problem. Do you have a
> suggestion how to fix it?

Not sure yet, but I was thinking about a new 2xx status code to be
explicitly used as a successful non-GET/POST response (both GET and
POST responses can be cacheable). Problem is, 200 is hard-wired as
the code to use in a number of places (e.g., the definition of PUT).

OTOH, 204 may be good enough for most cases; is it that often that
it's necessary to return an entity body with the PUT response? If the
scope of metainformation updates in the definition of 204, or the
definition of entity-headers, can be adjusted just a bit, it should
be adequate, I think. After all, what other possible meaning could an
ETag have in a 204 response?

--
Mark Nottingham
mnot@yahoo-inc.com