Re: PUT, side effects and 201 Created?

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:55:51 -0700
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>

How is it more constraining to allow responses other than 201? This
effectively forces the server to inform the client of the location of
*any* resource that happens to be created by a PUT, whether or not
that is useful or relevant information.

At the end of the day, this isn't really a testable requirement, so
it's not a big deal; was just wondering what was in people's minds
when this was written.