Re: location uri, ucs and the http scheme definition.

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 12:19 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > So: what is the correct encoding approach for non US-ASCII characters in
> > HTTP URI's in Location: ?
>
> What does this have to do with "Location"? A URI never ever contains
> non-ASCII characters, no matter where it appears.

Uhm. URIs do contain non-ASCII characters quite commonly. Such as
http://example.com/~usérname

Note that that cannot be unambiguously percent escaped from the rules
contained in rfc2616 and std66. The missing link is the encoding to use
before percent escaping, which you suggest a heuristic ..

> That being said; the *best* way (if you control the server) to embed non
> ASCII data into a URI usually is to UTF-8 encode, then percent-escape.

What I'm asking for is current RFC or std document that specifies this.
The reference for Location is because Location is the header I currently
need to ensure correct encoding of, and its definition is 'absoluteURI'
in rfc2616, which is incorporated from ... and thus we trace through to
std66 which passes the buck for the canonical pre-percent-escape
encoding back to the standard defining the URI scheme, which is rfc2616.
Full circle and no stance taken.

Rob