Re: does no-store request invalidate?

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 12:56 -0700, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> My reading is that a no-store request header applies to that request
> only; i.e., it's control information specific to that client, at the
> time it made that request.

That is my reading as well, but I wonder whether that was the intent. It
seems odd that the protocol talks at length about validating cached
entries using fresh 304 and HEAD responses but does not mention similar
validation using no-store responses.

> Otherwise, a malicious client could
> effectively invalidate any cache entry it chose to.

... which it can often do without no-store (using a DELETE method, for
example):

   "If the [DELETE] request passes through a cache and the Request-URI
identifies one or more currently cached entities, those entries SHOULD
be treated as stale."

Alex.