Re: Changing PUT's idempotency after the fact [was: WebDav methods and idempotency]

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:58:28 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, HTTP working group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Well, that's a potential workaround, if both clients and servers know to
> use it. I don't know enough about WebDAV autoversioning; is that a
> specified behaviour (e.g., submit an ETag and then do INM in a
> subsequent retry)?

If you do two PUTs with If-Match request header specifying the same
Etag, the second one will fail if the first one succeeded (that's HTTP,
any RFC3253 server that doesn't behave that way would be non-compliant).

> My concern is more regarding the process; having one RFC change the
> semantics of a protocol element in another, widely-deployed RFC seems
> like a no-no, at least without explicitly updating the other spec.

Agreed. The question is: does it? Note that it only applies to a very
specific auto-versioning behaviour and it's impact on the resource's
live properties.

Best regards, Julian