Re: [Ietf-caldav] Re: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 19:52 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Scott Lawrence wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 17:36 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> >
> >>So what do I do if a have a resource that accepts HTML form posts,
> >>SOAP
> >>requests and ADDMEMBER-like semantics on the same URL?
> >

> > Either:
> >
> > - Implement it very very carefully.
>
> Hm. What exactly does that mean?

It means that that resource should have a well defined way of
determining what it is being asked to do for any given request.
Personally, I would choose the second alternative - use different URLs
for those different purposes, but...

> When POST is applied to that resource with a content type of
> "application/soap+xml", is it supposed to store the attached entity as a
> new resource (with content type "application/soap+xml", returning a
> Location response header with the URL of the new resource), or should it
> process it according to
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part2-20030624>?

That W3C spec does not mandate that anything in particular be done with
a request body with that mime type.  It in no way requires that a
request body with that mime type invoke a SOAP operation or prevents a
given URL from treating that body as an object to be stored.