Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:52:55 -0800
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, CalDAV DevList <ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org>, WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>

On Feb 22, 2005, at 5:37 AM, Mark Baker wrote:
> Ah, so you're saying that ADDMEMBER isn't uniform?

Actually, no, I was saying that ADDMEMBER as currently defined
is identical to POST.  Julian said that it wasn't identical because
his client would be able to expect one semantic, namely that a
201 result would cause the webdav collection to contain a new
member with the given media type.  That implies an additional
requirement that the target be a webdav collection, which isn't
uniform at all.

> Can you give an example of a resource
> for which ADDMEMBER wouldn't make sense?

No, which is why it is POST by any other name.

....Roy