Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:49:39 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: algermissen@acm.org, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, CalDAV DevList <ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> OK, to summarize: your point is that PUT doesn't have the strict
> semantics (that I claim it has). Let's just agree that we disagree here.

Actually I'm saying it isn't implemented with strict semantics in practice.
I hope we don't disagree about that ;)

Which means there is no point pretending it does have strict semantics
for the purpose of access control to an unknown server.

> >That said, even if you do specify ADDMEMBER more tightly, I still
> >don't see how the difference would benefit you.  You say it could be
> >useful to an intermediary, but can you give a plausible example?
>
> Did I?

Ah.  It wasn't you who mentioned intermediaries needing to know what
the method will do.