Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 03:02:46PM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> This feature of HTTP is already defined as
>
>   POST + media-type ==> 201 + location

I was thinking the same thing Roy, but a new method would have the
advantage of improved visibility; an intermediary observing a POST/201
interaction wouldn't see anything in the POST request which licensed it
to interpret that request as an attempt to store state, whereas a new
method would provide exactly that license.

Had HTTP a means for extending a method to declare this additional
expectation (as described in the draft's A.3 using RFC 2774), I agree
that POST + extension would be appropriate.

> The media type is more than
> sufficient to distinguish this action from any other type of
> misdirected POST,

How so?  AFAICT, the media type could be anything.  Did I miss something
in the I-D?  But even if there was such a limitation, that seems a bit
kludgy to me; could such an assumption be expected to hold for even the
foreseeable future?  I wouldn't have thought so.

Cheers,

Mark.