Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> This feature of HTTP is already defined as
>
>   POST + media-type ==> 201 + location
>
> There is no need for any new methods, header fields, or any of
> the other assorted proposals to add more crap to HTTP.  The client
> knows what it is doing and can tell from the server's response
> whether or not it succeeded.  The media type is more than
> sufficient to distinguish this action from any other type of
> misdirected POST, and thus there is no need to check ahead of
> time whether or not the feature is supported.

I agree 100%.  Especially about the media type.

As if anyone needs a bit more clarity, RFC2616 says, under POST:

   If a resource has been created on the origin server, the response
   SHOULD be 201 (Created) and contain an entity which describes the
   status of the request and refers to the new resource, and a Location
   header (see section 14.30).

> This has been the original definition of POST going back to 1992.
> It is based on NNTP's post command and has the property of adding
> resources to a collection under a name chosen by the receiving
> server.

Absolutely.  Thank you for stating it clearly.

-- Jamie