Re: [Simple] Some thoughts on XCAP's resource architecture

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 06:39:58 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: KAWAGUTI Ginga <g.kawaguti@ntt.com>, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>, HTTP working group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "'simple@ietf.org'" <simple@ietf.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> KAWAGUTI Ginga wrote:

>> XCAP's target document is usually written in UTF-8(it's XML),
>

> Unless XCAP says something normative, it could be any encoding. As far
> as I can tell, the actual decoding doesn't matter at all as long as it
> is one of the XML required ones (thus UTF-8 or UTF-16).
>
>> so XCAP requires Xpath stuff(utf-8) into URL part, which is usually
>> considered as US-ASCII.
>> There are ways to encode utf-8 string into URL part, but
>> I don't think there's any unique, robust and common way for doing it.
>

> No matter what encoding the document uses, XCAP needs to define that
> mapping (and yes, that mapping needs to be based on UTF-8).

This is a good point; I've gotten a private comment about this as well.
I think the simplest thing is to normatively state that all XML
documents managed by XCAP have to be utf-8 encoded. In terms of a
mapping from UTF-8 strings into a URI, can you clarify why this is hard?
Isn't it just a matter of escape-coding the octet sequence associated
with non-ascii characters (I admit this is not my area of expertise and
I likely am missing something here).

-Jonathan R.

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711