Re: MIME registration for application/gdiff

On Sep 27, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> As far as I know, the current wisdom seems to disallow put on a
> content-negotiated resource, and to modify the "content" resource
> (Content-Location response header, see
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#header.content-
> location>) instead.

That is correct.  The best response from an HTTP server to an authoring
type of method on a negotiated resource is either "not allowed" or a
300 response that explains the resource is negotiated and lists the
URI(s) that might be authorable.  On a PUT, servers will either disallow
the request or change the URI's resource to having the fixed content.

Providing those URIs is a hard problem in general because it depends
on the algorithm used by the server to determine what representations
are available for a given URI.  For example, the Multiviews method in
Apache works by filename extensions, whereas another method uses
mappings defined in a URI".var" file, and mod_rewrite could do just
about anything.

A server should never attempt to "guess" while authoring -- any
redirection of the content must be controlled by the user (for
privacy reasons) and must not be assumed by the server (for
security reasons).

....Roy