Query String format still undefined ?

From: Stephan Hesmer <shesmer@apache.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:19:06 -0400
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hi all,

does anybody know where the query string format is defined ? I do not
mean which chars are allowed and which ones are reserved. What I mean
is, where is the format ?name=value&name=value ... defined e.g. as a
BNF? I searched through all related RFCs even through CGI and could not
find it. I found a lot of references to query string, but they all say
more or less that first it depends on the scheme or even url or second
only define the allowed chars.

I apologize if this is not the correct mailing list. Maybe then you
could give me a hint who to ask ?

Thanks

Stephan