Re: Microsoft to Strike IE URL Passwords

Michael,

Off the top of my head, so I may be totally off base :)

But, username:password@example.com is a valid uri in
the http protocol.  It follows, therefore, that it is
a valid HREF value in an <A> tag. If the browser then
does something other than is intended when the <A> tag
is invoked, then it is arguably non-compliant.

That is my argument in a nutshell.  Now, I could get
all scholarly and dig out all the references, but
this would make the argument much more obtuse and
hard to follow. I would not advance anything that
I did not feel was supported in the relevant RFC's.

Now, as a matter of practicality, IE is a Microsoft
product and Microsoft can do as it wishes.  Further,
it can be argued that this is not a common usage
of a uri.  But, it *is* used and useful.  To break
it would be a shame.  Especially if the shortcomings
can be solved another way.

To reiterate, the two problems that are referenced
fall into the category of program bug, and rendering
that is suitable for the majority of users.  This is
not a failing in the usage of the particular uri
format at all.

By kicking up a fuss as early as possible, I am hoping
that more consideration will be given to a non-intrusive
fix that will leave the intended functionality intact.

Best Regards,

Bob