Re: Proposal for an HTTP ERR method

Alex Rousskov wrote:
> > Also, no matter how intelligent an implementation, it's self testing
> > will never be as thorough as the testing done by all the clients
> > using it.
>
> That's not the point. The point is that if an implementation can
> self-fix problem X, then that implementation can usually test for X.
> If an implementation cannot self-fix problem X, it is pointless to
> inform that implementation (rather than a human) that X is a problem.

Ok, now I understand your point.

I agree, at least for the next decade or two.

(Specifications are imprecise and broken too, so there comes a point
when the question of whether to self-fix X, having identified a
logical deviation from specification through self-analysis, is
dependent on a value judgement about the specification, for which
feedback from communicating peers is useful.)

-- Jamie