Re: Proposal for an HTTP ERR method

From: Justin Chapweske <justin@chapweske.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:21:00 -0500
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Cc: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Atom Syntax <atom-syntax@imc.org>

I think the spamming problem can be largely mitigated with two
techniques:

o Define the error reporting as a best effort service that may silently
drop reported errors.

o Use highly aggressive throttling of multiple errors reported by the
same IP address, or even by classes of user-agents.

--
Justin Chapweske - Founder, Onion Networks
http://onionnetworks.com/

Transfer large files 10x faster than FTP with Onion Networks' WAN
Transport(tm).  http://onionnetworks.com/products_wantransport.php