Re: Question about proxies forwarding HTTP/1.0 responses

From: patrick mcmanus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:51:40 -0400
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Cc: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, HTTP working group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

> I guess that one depends on the behaviour of real proxies.  So that's
> banother question: do real deployed HTTP/1.1 proxies convert
> non-chunked responses to chunked?

I have done this for two reasons:

 * the server's response didn't have a content-length, but my proxy
wanted to have a persistent connection with the client.. The proxy can
chunk and stream the response simultaneously.

 * to add some other kind of transfer-encoding in addition to chunked.
Commonly, this would be gzip.

-Pat