PATCH vs PUT w/Content-Range

From: Justin Chapweske <justin@chapweske.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:26:39 -0500
To: lisa@osafoundation.rog
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hello Lisa,

Could you please expound upon the reasons why PUT with a Content-Range
is a dangerous operation?  In your draft you state:

   The PUT method is already defined to overwrite a resource with a
   complete new body, and MUST NOT be reused to do partial changes.
   Otherwise, proxies and caches and even clients and servers may get
   confused as to the result of the operation.

But it is not clear to me why this is a problem.  I would appreciate
your thoughts on this issue, and it may be worthwhile to expound upon it
a bit in your draft.

Thanks,

-Justin

--
Justin Chapweske - Founder, Onion Networks
http://onionnetworks.com/

Transfer large files 900% faster than FTP with Onion Networks' WAN
Transport(tm).  http://onionnetworks.com/products_wantransport.php