Re: Using OPTIONS for optional feature discovery -- advice

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:56:20 +0200
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP working group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>

Am 27.04.2004 um 09:42 schrieb Jamie Lokier:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> Just curious - does anyone know of OPTIONS being used "in the wild"
>>> at all?
>>> If so, how?
>>
>> OPTIONS is used quite heavily by WebDAV clients for feature discovery.
>> They usually use both the Allow header and the DAV-specific "Dav"
>> header
>> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#HEADER_DAV>).
>
> OPTIONS is also used in principle for "Upgrading to TLS Within
> HTTP/1.1" (RFC2817).  I don't know if it's actually deployed.
>
> -- Jamie

It is also used when clients have to make a cheap call without side
effects.
For example in order to trigger authentication before making other
requests
which are either expensive or cannot be repeated.

Another example is the infamous NTLM authentication scheme which
requires
at least two requests per new connection.

//Stefan