HTTP substatus error codes (403.9, 500.20, etc.)

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:39:01 -0800
To: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

IIS has a feature for "substatus" error codes, at least
according to the document I can find, but how are these
communicated back to the client?

One of the complaints about HTTP error messages is
that they're not very extensible, but it looks like
the "substatus error codes" is some kind of
extensibility message.

(I think "403.9 Forbidden: Too many clients are trying
to connect to the Web server" is probably inappropriate,
since it's a temporary failure and not a permanent
one, but that's another story).

How are substatus codes sent back to the client,
or are they? Only to IE user agents? In the
message body?

Larry