Confused by HTTP 1.0 vs HTTP 1.1

From: Matthew Stanfield <mattstan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 18:51:23 +0000
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hi,

Firstly I am not entirely sure this is the correct place to post but
judging the kind of questions in this mailing list's archives it seems
appropriate.

I've developing some software that uses sockets to communicate with web
servers using HTTP. I've seen both HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 used in GET
headers. EG. "GET / HTTP/1.0" and "GET / HTTP/1.1". So far I've been using
HTTP 1.0 in my GET headers but while browsing this list's archives I saw
that HTTP 1.1 is in use (EG. the thread "HTTP 1.1, proxy servers, and
failed connections") and wondered whether I should in fact be using 1.1
instead.

Having run some tests it seems that some 'mainstream' web servers (EG.
www.google.com) don't seem to respond to a HTTP 1.1 GETs. While others (EG.
www.yahoo.com) do and act normally.

Can someone explain to me whether I should be using HTTP 1.1 at all and, if
so, under what circumstances?

Apologies if this is off-topic, trivial or documented in a resource that I
should have read before posting but obviously didn't find.

Thanks and regards,

..matthew