Re: client closing connection

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:41:36 +0100
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Diwakar Shetty <diwakar.shetty@oracle.com>

Am Donnerstag, 06.02.03, um 13:31 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Diwakar
Shetty:

> Suppose a client has requested for page.
> The page is a big file
>
> Before the whole response has come, client wants to indicate to server
> that it is no more interested in the data.
>
> At the same time, I do not want the TCP connection to be closed.
> Since I want to make use of Keep-Alive and keep the TCp connection
> alive
>
> How can I do it ?

Once the response is underway, it is not possible for the client to
interrupt the sending server other than by closing the connection.

What a client, concerned about the size of a GET response, can do is
to send a HEAD request to the server first and examine the
Content-Length
(hopefully known by the server) in order to decide.

Hope this helps.

//Stefan