Re:Re: Proxy and HTTP protocol versions

From: Sudha <ssudhaiyer@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 22:29:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Firstoff, thanks for all the response. I've provided my answers
with some more questions inline (enclose between >>>>)

There are a few questions you need to answer before we can
help you with the design and minimal feature set:

	1. Will your proxy forward all requests to one configured
	   server? Or will it need to look at requested URLs and
	   forward requests to corresponding servers?

Yes. My proxy server would always forward it to one configured server. I don't have
to lookup the request header.

 2. Is performance important? Do you want your proxy to cache

No. I don't have to provide any caching feature.

 3. Will you proxy do anything other than forwarding messages?
	   That is, why do you need a proxy?

The reason I need this proxy is because, I want a way to forward all requests
to a centralized server. And I want to write one on my own.

The end server that I would be sending the request to is HTTP 1.1 compliant. But,
I doubt if the server properly implements 'Keep-alive' etc.

My question is, if there din't exist a proxy between the browser and the server,
won't the browser and the server handle all these differences ? In which case,
how should a proxy now make a difference ? Can't I just forward the request
or just tunnel it as if it were HTTPS, and be assured that it works?

Your answers will determine how much HTTP corners you can cut. If it
turns out that your proxy needs to support HTTP/1.1, then you would
have to handle versions and *Connection headers correctly, among other
things. In that case, I would not recommend just removing
Proxy-Connection; a lot more work needs to be done to survive in a
general HTTP environment (RFC 2616 defines most of what needs to be
implemented in that case).