Re: Sending Connect request

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:35:12 -0400 (EDT)
To: Scott Lawrence <scott-http@skrb.org>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Scott Lawrence wrote:
> rajev samyal <rajeev_sambyal@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>Hi! I have a client application which is running behind a proxy server. I
>>want to connect to another server application in another domain.I am using
>>Http to connect to the server.The problem is how do I pass the information
>>across the proxy to the server and get the response back.I have read of
>>CONNECT method in the Request header, but don't know how to implement
>>it.
>

> See RFC 2817
>   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2817.txt

Have I missed something?  Are the answers that propose CONNECT
over-thinking the question?

To connect to an HTTP application through a proxy, send an absolute URI
(RFC 2616) to the proxy.  For example, if the application server is
app.com and the proxy server is proxy.com, send this request to proxy.com:

GET http://app.com/the-rest-of-the-URI HTTP/1.1
Host: app.com
[more headers]

Dave Kristol