RE: RFC2616 errata: HTTP-Version should be case-sensitive

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:10:34 -0700
To: "'Alex Rousskov'" <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Perhaps there's some misunderstanding about the purpose of
the "errata" page. It doesn't really matter whether it's
a transcription error or a semantic change to the document,
we should document, in the HTTP "errata", ways in which the
spec is inconsistent with widely deployed HTTP implementations.

> To summarize, I think that the change you propose makes perfect sense,
> but I disagree that it is an errata. If the consensus is that changes
> to reflect todays interoperability problems are appropriate, a lot
> more similar changes should be done.

It's reasonable to document these, and not to worry too much about
whether they are "changes" in intent or "changes" in specification
to match what was actually the original intent.

When the HTTP spec is revised, we can figure out how to
word the change list.

In general, unless there's some strong design reason to do otherwise,
we should change the spec to match what's implemented.

Larry