Re: Use of ";" in URL for HTTP

From: Scott Lawrence <lawrence@world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:26:54 -0400
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Diwakar Shetty <diwakar.shetty@oracle.com>

9/5/2002 12:55:27 AM, Diwakar Shetty <diwakar.shetty@oracle.com> wrote:
> I could understand the use of "&" in URL for HTTP requests
>
>"&" separates the <name>=<value> pair
>
> However, what is the use of ";" in URLS for HTTP ?

Semicolon is just another valid character in the path component
of a URL - it has no special significance.  When the Web was
being invented, VMS was an important platform, and the semicolon
was used in VMS file names, so making it a legal path name
component was important.

--
Scott Lawrence
  <lawrence@world.std.com>