RE: Nature of Application Protocols!

At 14:31 02/08/29 +0530, Naresh Agarwal wrote:
>Hi Martin,
>
>Can you elaborate, why SMTP is Push?
>
>First, let me tell you, what i think of Push and Pull.
>Please correct me, if i'm wrong.
>
>Pull: You make a request to fetch some data (Request-Response)
>Push: You receive some data, without making a request. (No Request, Only
>Response)
>
>In case of SMTP, data, i.e, mails are pushed to SMTP servers.
>But finally, one've to use POP/IMAP to fetch the mails.
>
>Don't this mean that SMTP is pull rather than push?

Please don't mix up SMTP and 'Internet mail'. SMTP is push, and stateful.
'Internet mail' is a 'protocol' (in the sense that it is a
collection of conventions for communication) consisting of
several actual protocols at layer 7. 'Internet mail' as a whole
may be called stateless (there are states at a still higher level,
in that mails get identified as replies to other mails,...).
'Internet mail' as a whole requires both pull and push
(if only one is done, the email won't reach the recipient),
and therefore cannot be called either 'pull' or 'push'.

Regards,    Martin.