RE: Nature of Application Protocols!

Hi Martin,

Can you elaborate, why SMTP is Push?

First, let me tell you, what i think of Push and Pull.
Please correct me, if i'm wrong.

Pull: You make a request to fetch some data (Request-Response)
Push: You receive some data, without making a request. (No Request, Only Response)

In case of SMTP, data, i.e, mails are pushed to SMTP servers.
But finally, one've to use POP/IMAP to fetch the mails.

Don't this mean that SMTP is pull rather than push?

thanks,
regards,
Naresh Agarwal