RE: IE vs vary header

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:20:14 -0600 (MDT)
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I think if I mark them as un-cacheable, the *same* problem in IE
> will occur -- it fails to pass content to external applications if
> it decides that the content is not cacheable (their logic is: we
> pass data to external programs by caching it, but the response
> headers indicate that the result isn't cacheable, thus we can't
> pass it on -- funny, isn't it?).

You may be able to mark them with "Cache-Control: private" to avoid
the above problem. Also, as somebody suggested to me off-list, you can
try a must-revalidate cache-control directive so that the content is
cachable by shared caches but the server has some control based on
client request headers. The latter option requires must-revalidate
support in caches and may cause the same IE problems you mention
above; simple but not a very robust solution.

Good luck,

Alex.