Re: 'qs' parameter in Content-Type header

From: Christoph Schneegans <Christoph@Schneegans.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:25:26 GMT
To: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>> Using the AddType directive, Apache is able to add a 'qs' parameter to
>> the Content-Type header, which might result in the following output:

> Using the AddType directive, you are able to create abitrary
> Content-Type headers.

"qs" is somewhat special, see below.

>> Is the 'qs' parameter legal there?
>
> No, valid paramters for a given media type are subject to the media type
> registration, RFC 3236 in this case.

Well, after reading RFC 2616 again, I have to agree with this view.

> "qs" is inspired by the source quality factor abbreviation of RFC
> 2295/2296 and documented as an additional parameter you may use in
> Apaches type-map files.

In addition, the "qs" parameter does affect Apache's negotiation
algorithm when used within an AddType directive, so you would not have
to struggle with .var files - this can be a major benefit. Of course,
the "qs" parameter should not be included in the Content-Type header,
but so far I haven't seen any client that complains about it.

Regards,
Christoph Schneegans

--
<http://schneegans.de/>