Re: HTTP 1.1, proxy servers, and failed connections

From: Bob Scheifler - SMI Software Development <rws@east.sun.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:04:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jim.Gettys@hp.com
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
> Could you at least describe the differing behavior you are seeing
> between implementations?

Proxy-agent: Netscape-Proxy/3.52
returns 500 for ECONNREFUSED
returns 500 for unknown (no DNS entry) host

Server: Squid/2.2.STABLE5
returns 503 for ECONNREFUSED
returns 500 for unknown (no DNS entry) host

I suspect y'all have access to a broader set of proxy servers than I do.

> And while HTTP is not TCP specific, I can't see any reason why some
> header could not be invented to convey TCP specific failure information

"connection refused" and "unknown host" are not TCP-specific concepts...

- Bob