Re: Some comments on Digest Auth

Dave Kristol wrote:

> Paul Leach wrote:
>   > > [DMK:]
>   > > So let me hark back to the discussion of a few weeks ago.  Let's not
>   > > try to make Digest do something it was not intended to do.  Let's
>   > > hold replay-proof Digest for digest-ng discussions.
>   > >
>   > No.
>   >
>   > A replayable Digest is just as bad as Basic.
>
> Let me say the same thing differently:  A replayable Digest is no worse
> than Basic.  And it has the merit that it eliminates cleartext passwords.
> That's all we were trying to do.

A replayable Digest is by no means as bad as Basic:

1. The replay is likely to be time-limited in any sensible
implementation, unlike in Basic.

2. The replay is only applicable to a single URL, unlike Basic.

3. The attacker is likely to have already seen the content, in the
process of stealing the material necessary for the replay.

Cheers,

Ben.