Re: Some suggested changes to the HTTP draft

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, John Franks wrote:

> With a couple of minor well specified exceptions HTTP does not deal
> with Multipart objects as multipart, but as a single object.  There
> are no outer vs inner headers; only one set of headers.  What you
> might call inner headers are just part of the data to HTTP. The
> content of a MIME Multipart object is no different than the content of
> a binary file to HTTP.  An HTTP cache should be no more likely to use
> a heading inside a MIME Multipart object than to use a string inside
> an object of type application/octet-stream.

I was wrong.  The paragraph above may describe current practice but it
is not what the spec says.  I just reread the relevant specification
sections, which I should have done before my post.

I don't know of any caches that parse multipart documents and
separately cache body parts, but I suppose they might exist.  I am not
sure why a transport protocol should be mucking about inside an entity
being transported -- even a multipart entity, but apparently it is
possible.

John Franks
john@math.nwu.edu