Re: Issue: TRAILER_FIELDS and Transfer Encodings once again

At 16:15 11/19/97 -0500, Dave Kristol wrote:

Hi Dave,

>Sorry, but I find these paragraphs very confusing and, possibly,
>contradictory.  According to (3), an empty Accept-TE allows only
>"identity".  According to (4), "chunked" is always acceptable.  Which is
>right?

They are indeed - must have been eating something bad. I think this is better:

3. The "identity" transfer-coding is always acceptable, unless specifically
refused because the Accept-TE field includes "identity;q=0". The "chunked"
transfer-coding is always acceptable. The Trailer header field (section
14.Y) can be used to indicate the set of header fields included in the
trailer.

4. If the Accept-TE field-value is empty, only the "identity" and the
"chunked" transfer-codings are acceptable.

>Also, in these (earlier) examples of Accept-TE:
>       Accept-TE: deflate
>       Accept-TE:
>       Accept-TE: chunk=1.0; deflate=0.5
>
>Is "chunk" a hypothetical new TE, or is it a misspelling of "chunked",
>in which case it's invalid (because "chunked" can't take a parameter)?
>And, syntactically don't those have to be
>       Accept-TE: chunk;q=1.0; deflate;q=0.5

Sorry, it should have been

        Accept-TE: chunked; deflate;q=0.5

meaning that the client accepts any allowed header to occur in the trailer
of a chunked encoded message and is somewhat happy to accept deflate.

Thanks!

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,