Re: body on HEAD errror response

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:41:47 -0700
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
> should.

That would be contrary to all past discussion of HEAD and all implementations
of HTTP prior to 1997.  The only origin server that I know of that returns
a body on HEAD requests is IIS when used with an ASP object that takes
complete control of the socket and ignores the HTTP spec.  All other
instances of that behavior have been from broken firewall proxies or
gateways.  It certainly does not constitute a correct implementation.

....Roy