Re: Http overhead

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Patrik Carlsson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am currently working with a traffic model for an IP network. I have a
> question about the amount of overhead involved when transfering binary
> files over http. As fas as I understood, http handles binary files so no
> encoding has to be performed (as for example files over SMTP uses MIME).
> So, how many header-bytes does http add in each packet when sending a
> binary file from a server to a client?

Depends on the server, but typically around 256 bytes.
E.g. this instance of Apache response uses 279 bytes:

ab -v 4 http://www.foo.com:81/poweredby.png

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:21:44 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux) PHP/3.0.15 mod_perl/1.21
Last-Modified: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 18:37:44 GMT
ETag: "33303-482-38bd6378"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

<1154 bytes of binary data>

Cheers,