Re: Conformance Test for HTTP 1.1

From: Balachander Krishnamurthy <bala@research.att.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:18:44 -0400
To: "Keith Hoffman" <hoffmankeith@hotmail.com>
Cc: kugler@us.ibm.com, msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

>The simplest answer as to why this isn't good is that it's outside the
>charter of the IETF.  This organization is here to create standards.
>Not to validate/judge whether someone is compliant with them.

compliancy to a protocol is one of the key expectation of a specification.
the folks who worked on the spec have a clear interest in seeing whether
all the effort they went to in terms of M/S/M were met. it is not an issue
of "judging" and saying "oh sorry, ee.software is broken".

claiming that ietf should not be interested in compliancy appears a bit
odd to me. we all stand to gain from making sure that implementations
are compliant to a protocol spec. ietf should be interested. at least
they were interested last year when they invited me to give a talk at
a plenary sesion last year during their d.c. meeting - the talk was
on http/1.1 protocol compliancy.

what is wrong with ietf-sponsored group coming up with a test suite
for an open protocol specification? anyone who wants have their
software tested against it can do so. ietf is unlikely to be partial
in the construction of a compliancy test suite.

cheers,
bala

balachander krishnamurthy
http://www.research.att.com/~bala/papers