Re: Legal tokens

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 07:25:02 +0200 (MET DST)
To: JWitt@ECCubed.com (Jim Witt)
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
>Can anyone tell me if the following is a legal header ofr a response
>from a web server?
>

>   *** [tid=10e 108] Receiving response ( 30/8/2000 14:59:10 )
>
>   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>   Server: Netscape-Enterprise/4.0
>   Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:02:26 GMT
>   Connection: Close
>   Connection: keep-alive
>

>Specifically, it is the 'Connection: Close' followed by 'Connection:
>keep-alive' that is in question.

Interesting combination of headers.  Digging through the specs, section
19.7.1 of RFC2068 seems to allow the sending of `Connection:
keep-alive' to initiate a persistent connection with some legacy
HTTP/1.0 clients.  The `Connection: Close' at the same time forces a
non-persistent connection in the case that the client is a 1.1 client.
Nothing seems to forbid the use of both at the same time.

So I think it is legal, even unambiguous.  But the semantics is
strange, so it probably reflects a bug in the server.

>Thanks in advance
>

>Jim Witt
>on-site at EC Cubed

Koen.