Re: Cache-Control

Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:

> > A user-agent (presumably with a "non-shared cache") should
> > ignore the "private" and "s-maxage" directives, and so
> > this is equivalent *FOR A NON-SHARED CACHE* to
> >
> >       Cache-Control: max-age=180
>
> What about "public"???

Nobody else has access to that cache, so "public" can't mean anything.

> Public Cache (SHARED)
>     Don't cache it (conflicting cache-control)
>     However on the other had, the server did send s-maxage=120,
>     so it's caring for public caches.....

Maybe.  Or maybe s-maxage crept in because of some memory trashing on the
server side.  Once you see that the server is buggy, you can't be sure what
it wants.

(Reminds me of a line from a Pratchett book: "Why is he *doing* this?" "That
is only a valid question if he is sane.  He may be doing it because the
little green pixies tell him to."  :-)

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|